Written By: Vahid Moradi
September is a month that harbors both beauty and anticipation. And as the leaves change from green to russet red, apricot orange, and cardinal yellow, new chapters are abundant.
While September’s fall color scheme doesn’t always include the cool blue of sapphire, the gemstone is September’s birthstone, making for a perfect splash of color amongst autumn’s earthy hues—and the perfect gift to usher in another year around the sun.
In this guide, you’ll explore all you need to know about sapphire crystal, the September birthstone, and discover a few of our favorite blue-hued fine jewelry pieces.
What is Sapphire?
A member of the corundum mineral family, sapphire is a durable, crystalline gemstone composed of aluminum and oxygen. Sapphire is a gemstone that symbolizes nobility and faithfulness. Its deep blue shimmering hue reflects the purity of body and soul, and its elegant cut signifies the power of love.
While a sapphire stone is traditionally thought of as a “blue” gemstone, sapphires come in many colors, including:
Red is the only color not considered sapphire. Rather, corundums radiating red’s fiery passion are known as rubies. That being said, corundums that comprise a sapphire stone can be broken down into four primary types:1
Knowing the four primary sapphire types is important when deciding on the right sapphire to gift your loved one. While some adore the classic blue sapphire, others prefer to showcase their vivid personalities through a sapphire with color as vibrant as they are.
The 4 Cs of Sapphire Selection
When selecting the perfect sapphire for you or a loved one isn’t difficult, you must pay attention to the 4 Cs of gem selection:
Let’s dive into each of these fine jewelry factors.
Although some people prefer fancy sapphires, most people desire classic blue sapphires. The most prized sapphires have strong blue tones evocative of the ocean’s mysterious depths.
To choose the best sapphire color, pay attention to the following:2
All gemstones and birthstones have inclusions. In short, inclusion is an internal flaw found in the gemstone. Most inclusions can only be seen through a magnifying glass and can, in the case of star sapphires, improve the gem’s appearance.
That said, inclusions can harm a gemstone’s value if the inclusions impact durability.
When buying sapphires, look for stones with as few inclusions as possible (unless you’re interested in star sapphires).
What’s more, pay attention to the stone’s place of origin for clues as to its clarity. Sapphires from Kashmir tend to be the clearest in the world.
One of the most important factors to consider when buying sapphires, cut refers to the workmanship involved in transforming the stone from an unpolished gem to valued fashion jewelry from jewelers.
Analyzing a sapphire’s cut means looking at the following:
A measurement of a gem’s weight, the carat, is an important factor when selecting your next sapphire.
In general, the higher the carat, the more expensive and valuable the stone.
That said, in gemstones (as in life), bigger isn’t always better. Sometimes a smaller cluster of gemstones looks better in a piece of jewelry than a single large stone. These smaller clusters often carry higher carats than single stones.
Our Sapphire Jewelry Top Picks
Selecting the right and real sapphire jewelry means closely inspecting the stone for color, clarity, cut, and carat. While some stones have the right color and clarity, they may be lacking when it comes to cut and carat.
Fortunately, CJ Charles combines the 4 Cs of gemstone perfection in our splendid and vivid sapphire collection:
- Flower power – The 18kt White Gold Blue Sapphire and Diamond Double Flower Open Ring is nothing short of an ode to the power and beauty of indigo. Each of the ring’s six blue sapphires hypnotizes with its miraculous depth and color.
- Swiss splendor – Some of the world’s most-esteemed jewelry features minimal inclusions. CJ Charles’ “Harry Winston” 5ct Natural Unheated Sapphire Diamond Ring is an astonishing example. Evoking elegance, class, luxury, and precision, the ring’s 5.53-carat center sapphire and surrounding diamonds are rated as having a VS2 clarity. This means they have very minimal inclusions—and maximum levels of beauty.
- Ice-blue elegance – In terms of cut type, the best sapphires have rounded brilliant and step cuts. Take CJ Charles’ 18kt White Gold Sapphire and Diamond Wave Band, for instance. A dazzling ode to excellence, this stunning band features nine gorgeous round-cut sapphires guaranteed to take your breath away with the brilliance of the cut.
- Oval opulence – The 59 oval cut sapphires in CJ Charles’ Platinum Oval Sapphire Diamond Necklace give new meaning to the word perfection. Each small sapphire contributes to the piece’s grandeur, and, when measured with the 59 baguette-cut diamonds, the necklace’s sapphires pack an impressive 11.03 carats.
- Beaded beauty – Composed of 10 burning blue sapphires totaling 4.5-carats and 4 round brilliant-cut diamonds packing an additional 0.23 carats, the 18kt White Gold Sapphire and Diamond Beaded Flower Drop Earrings set the standard when it comes to embracing your inner royalty.
Where Can You Source The Best Sapphires?
While sapphires are mined all over the world, the most common and productive sapphire mines exist in the following locations:
Like a sapphire’s type, a sapphire’s place of origin can impact the value of the gemstone. Sapphires produced in Kashmir, like that found in the Platinum 6ct Sugar Loaf Cabochon Kashmir Sapphire Ring, tend to fetch the highest prices.
Sapphire Importance: Gem of Grace, Stone of Healing
Throughout history, sapphire has captured the hearts and minds of poets, kings, and clergy. As a result, the stone’s power has been reimagined time and time again depending on the period:3
Although sapphires have traditionally symbolized truthfulness, love, nobility, and faithfulness, you can ascribe whatever meaning you want to the azure stone. The gemstone’s timelessness is a testament to its everlasting appeal.
CJ Charles: Where Excellence Meets Sapphires
When it comes to breath-taking gemstones, few gems eclipse the almighty sapphire. Its color evokes nobility and class, and its luster reflects a sense of “heaven” on Earth.
For sapphires that truly redefine beauty, there’s only CJ Charles. Visit our San Diego showroom to peruse September birthstone jewelry.
At CJ Charles, we exceed the extraordinary one sapphire at a time.
Written By: Vahid Morai
Vahid Moradi’s lifelong passion, dedication, and commitment for the jewelry industry led him to become the respected owner of CJ Charles Jewelers in 1988. From that moment, Moradi’s single focus in business was to become recognized as the pinnacle of value and world-class quality in the his Community. Over 34 years later, CJ Charles continues to grow and thrive as a successful, family-owned business that consistently provides exceptional service to all their clientele.
- GIA. Sapphire Description. https://www.gia.edu/sapphire-description
- IGS. A Consumer’s Guide to Gem Grading. https://www.gemsociety.org/article/a-consumers-guide-to-gem-grading
- GIA. Sapphire History and Lore. https://www.gia.edu/sapphire-history-lore