Shopping Guide: July Birthstone Jewelry
Written By: Vahid Moradi
As July rolls around, the warm summer sun sparkles in the sky, roses, peonies, and poppies flourish, and birthdays abound.
If you have a special someone with a July birthday and you’re looking for the perfect piece of statement jewelry, a ruby—July’s birthstone—is a brilliant embellishment to earrings, bracelets, and necklaces.
The crimson gemstone is bold and radiant, and it’s among the most sought-after stones on the jewelry market. In this guide to all things July birthstone jewelry, we’ll explore some of our favorite ruby pieces, how rare rubies are, and how to make sure you’re gifting the highest quality jewelry.
Ruby: The Gem of July
Rubies are stunning, vibrant red gems that obtain their gorgeous hue from chromium. You can identify true fashion jewelry rubies by their chroma—they’re bright red, without any hints of orange or pink tones.
These beautiful gems actually belong to the same mineral family as sapphires (corundum), which are bright blue in hue.
That being said, the precious stones have many fascinating features of their own, including:1
- Rubies are often associated with royalty and were used in crowns
- Rubies are among the rarest gems, especially high-quality burmese rubies
- Rubies are mined in many countries including Myanmar, Australia, India, and the U.S.
- Rubies measure a nine out of ten on the Mohs scale of hardness
- The word ruby is derived from the Latin word ruber, which means red
- Rubies are the birthstone for July and the traditional gift for a 40th wedding anniversary
What Do Rubies Signify?
The International Gem Society praises rubies for their beauty and sturdiness.2 Along with being long-lasting and scratch-resistant, rubies possess a deeper meaning. Many people associate the precious stones with:
- Good fortune
- Strong emotion
Some also believe rubies are protective stones. When you give a red ruby as a gift, it’s believed you pass along these feelings to the recipient.
However, no matter the message you wish to convey, you can rest assured that a piece of ruby jewelry makes a strong statement.
Our Favorite Ruby Gemstone Pieces
Because of their dazzling appearance and association with royalty, rubies produce a significant wow factor in just about any piece of jewelry. Some of our favorite pieces of red ruby jewelry for a July birthday gift include:
1. Stunning Ruby Necklaces
Rubies and diamonds go together like fine wine and cheese. Your beloved will adore ruby jewelry that combines:
- Tiny diamonds
- Brilliant burmese rubies
- White gold
These three make a powerful statement and can be crafted in many different ways. You could try a simple white gold chain with a diamond and ruby pendant. Looking for something more? Go for a true statement piece with alternating trios of diamonds and rubies set in white gold.
2. Timeless Ruby Bracelets
Bracelets are another lovely July birthstone gift. Similar to necklaces, ruby bracelets can range from extravagant to simple and elegant. Some of our favorite ruby bracelet styles include:
- Show-stopping splendor – Adorned in a thick layer of wine-colored rubies, the elegant 18kt Yellow Gold Diamond & Ruby Invisible Set Bracelet features gleaming gemstones and dazzling diamonds set in a yellow gold setting. With this bracelet, a memorable birthday is set in stone.
- Art Deco dazzle – For the birthday celebrator with a love for glittering geometrics, the Platinum Art Deco Ruby and Diamond Bracelet feature 4.3cts of maroon adornments that are sure to be absolutely sensational.
- Floral glamor – Replace your loved one’s birthday bouquet with a wreath of rose gold florals and ruby embellishments for well-wishes that last a lifetime. The Estate Rose Gold Diamond and Ruby Flower Cuff Bracelet also features ornate diamonds for added sparkle.
3. Romantic Ruby Rings
You can also gift your special someone with a ruby ring that showcases radiant ornamentation. Since it can be difficult to find very large rubies, rings are perfectly suited to display the beauty and intricate features of smaller gems. We love gemstone engagement rings that incorporate rubies by:
- Spotlighting a single ruby birthstone surrounded by brilliant diamonds
- Pairing rubies and sapphires to form delicate flowers
- Alternating rubies and diamonds on a thin band
- Building an intricate pattern with diamonds, rubies, and sapphires
Whether you’re searching for a thin band or a thicker piece, rubies can highlight the beauty of just about any ring.
4. Classic Ruby Pins
If you’re looking for a timeless, classic gift, consider a ruby pin or brooch. When worn with a simple, elegant outfit, a ruby birthstone brooch can add a touch of class, vibrancy, and antiquity—there are few things more vintage than a brooch made of stunning gemstones.
And your beloved will feel like royalty when they pin it to their evening wear for a night on the town.
5. Elegant Ruby Earrings
Earrings are always a lovely gift—especially if you’re wishing to whisper sweet nothings in your loved one’s ear.
They’re easy to wear and come in several styles and designs, placed where everyone can admire them. Does that sound like music to your ears? Some of our most loved ruby earrings include:
- Teardrop florals – The 18kt White Gold Ruby And Diamond Drop Flower Earrings are ruby-filled blossoms that hang delicately and elicit the warm beauty of midsummer poppies.
- Summertime studs – Crafted in white gold and 10 radiant rubies, these 18kt White Gold 3.37ctw Ruby And Diamond Flower Studs are the perfect addition to a balmy July birthday.
- Delightful gems – These Ruby Diamond Invisible Baguette Earrings serve pure elegance, and they’re the ideal accompaniment to an afternoon garden party under the shimmering sun.
A pair of ruby earrings can be passed down from generation to generation, making them a lasting gift that can span generations of birthday surprises.
6. Bright Ruby Hair Accessories
Lastly, don’t forget that hair clips, pins, and barrettes can also be a place to showcase birthstone gems. For those elegant evenings out, you might want to gift your beloved a special piece they can use to make their hair sparkle. We love:
- Slim, simple hair pins that can slide into an elegant updo
- Tiaras featuring rubies and diamonds to place atop tumbling curls
- Clips with sparkling diamonds and rubies for a finishing touch on a special look
Tips for Selecting a Perfect Ruby Piece of Jewelry
When you invest in a dazzling piece of jewelry, you want to make sure that you’re selecting a high-quality piece. Because rubies are somewhat rare, there are many imitation pieces out there.
Luckily, you can ensure that you’re getting the best by focusing on the following features:3
- Color – Color is the most important feature impacting the value of a ruby. You want to look for gems that are bright red to purplish-red in color. It shouldn’t be too dark or too light. Think of bright, vibrant red as the standard-setter for ruby quality.
- Cut – Rubies can be cut in several different shapes. Typically you’ll find them in hexagons, elongated ovals, cushions, or with squared facets. Slightly rarer are round, emerald-cut, pear-shaped, and triangular rubies.
- Clarity – Most rubies have some kind of inclusion. Inclusions are other materials that get trapped inside a mineral when that mineral forms. Bubbles, fractures, or crystals are all common inclusions. Those that reduce the ruby’s transparency or brightness detract from the gem’s value while those that are less visible typically don’t impact the gem’s worth.
- Size – Rubies over one carat are exceedingly rare, especially without value-detracting inclusions. High-quality rubies around one carat or less are typically very expensive. Smaller rubies with excellent clarity may also fetch a hefty price.
- Reputation – Lastly, you should always be aware of the supplier’s reputation before you purchase any jewelry or gems. Research where they get their gems from and the quality of the products they produce.
How Much Do Quality Ruby Pieces Cost?
Now that you’ve learned about the different types of ruby jewelry out there and you know how to pick the perfect piece, let’s talk price. According to the Gemological Institute of America, several factors go into determining the price of a ruby, such as:3
- Quality – Those same quality factors that help you sift through the available options to find the perfect gem will also influence the price. Rubies with optimal color, clarity, and cut will cost more than those that receive lower ratings in those categories. In short, you can expect to pay more for a higher-quality gem.
- Weight – The size, or weight, will also influence the price. The lower-end price range for rubies tends to be around $1,000 per carat. Some of the highest quality, most valuable rubies might go for as high as $800,000 per carat or more.
- Geographic origin – The place where your ruby was found can also impact the price. Certain regions produce rubies that are considered more valuable than others. Typically, rubies from Myanmar are priced the highest, while those from other regions aren’t as expensive.
- Additional features – The other features of a piece of jewelry outside of the ruby will influence the overall cost. For example, if you purchase a simple, small ruby ring, it will cost significantly less than a ring that’s encrusted with both rubies and diamonds.
CJ Charles: Your Fine Jewelry Source for July and Beyond
When you’re in the market for a statement birthday gift, a piece of ruby jewelry is the perfect choice for someone with a July birthday. With so many stunning pieces to choose from, you’re sure to find one you love. However, it’s important to carefully check the quality of the ruby to ensure your loved one is being gifted with only the best.
For high-quality ruby jewelry, shop our collection at CJ Charles. For 35 years, our family-owned-and-operated boutique has displayed jewelry and watch wear at the pinnacle of luxury.
Gift your loved one with rare, radiant ruby beauty from CJ Charles.
Written By: Vahid Morai
Vahid Moradi’s lifelong passion, dedication, and commitment for the jewelry industry led him to become the respected owner of CJ Charles Jewelers in 1988. From that moment, Moradi’s single focus in business was to become recognized as the pinnacle of value and world-class quality in the his Community. Over 34 years later, CJ Charles continues to grow and thrive as a successful, family-owned business that consistently provides exceptional service to all their clientele.
- American Gem Society. Ruby Fun Facts. https://www.americangemsociety.org/ruby-fun-facts/
- International Gem Society. Ruby Buying Guide. https://www.gemsociety.org/article/ruby-buying-guide/
- GIA. Ruby Quality Factors. https://www.gia.edu/ruby-quality-factor