How to Wind a Panerai Watch
Written By: Vahid Moradi
Panerai watches are amongst the most iconic, unique, and enviable timepieces on the market. Their refined mechanical components use a host of proprietary technology that the brand has perfected over its 160-year history.1
One of the most notable features of Panerai watches is their one-of-a-kind winding mechanism. The company patented the levered design in the mid-20th century, and Panerai watches (and their imitators) have been using it ever since.2
That said, the design is a bit different than most brands. For example, there are several differences between Panerai vs Rolex as well as Panerai vs Breitling to be aware of. If you’re considering purchasing one of these marvels of timekeeping technology, you’re going to need to know how to use it. Luckily, in just a few revolutions of the minute hand, you can learn how to wind a Panerai watch so that it never stops ticking.
How to Use Panerai’s Winding Technology
The components and engineering that go into developing Panerai’s winding mechanisms are complex and sophisticated. Thankfully, their user interface is as smooth and seamless as the cogs connecting in perfect intricacy beneath your watch’s surface.
Panerai watches include a lever that must be flipped to engage the winding mechanism. This savvy feature protects their components from accidental winding and involuntary date and time changes. Once the lever is released, the winding crown can be moved into different positions to interact with various parts of the watch.
How to Wind a Panerai for Power Purposes
The primary reason you’ll want to wind your Panerai is to charge it up and keep the internal components turning like, well, clockwork. If you consistently wind, you’ll never need to correct the date or time and will always have the accurate hour at a glance.
To wind one of Panerai’s elegant timepieces:3
- Flip the lever to release pressure on the winding crown and allow it to move freely.
- Don’t change the winding knob’s position; instead, leave it in the slot closest to the watch’s face.
- Spin the crown away from you until it is fully charged and the mechanism to prevent further turning engages.
- Flip the lever back into position and strap it to your wrist. Your watch is now fully wound.
The process is simple, but if you don’t keep on top of it, your watch will fall out of date and time—or stop turning entirely. Thankfully, with just a few twists of the crown, you can remedy these dilemmas as well.
How to Set a Panerai’s Time
These luxury watches are as beautiful and opulent as they are functional. If your watch’s timing falls off, however, it fails to serve its primary purpose as a timepiece. To get a Panerai back on track, simply:3
- Flip the crown’s lever.
- Pull the crown out until it’s in position two, the furthest possible spot from the face.
- Turn the crown until the hands reach the correct time.
- Depress the crown until it reaches the default position closest to the watch’s face.
- Flip the lever back to the locked setting.
With a Panerai, it’s that simple to get back to the current moment (it’s also possible to lose many moments staring at their bewildering beauty, however). If you haven’t looked over your timepiece in a while, chances are the date has fallen out of sync as well. Fear not, because that’s likewise an easy fix.
Adjusting a Panerai’s Date
The process to change the date on a Panerai is equally as simple as selecting the time. To turn the clock forward to today:3
- Flip the lever.
- Pull the crown out until it’s in position one, a single notch out from the face.
- Turn the knob until you reach the correct date.
- Put the crown and lever back in place and enjoy perfect timing.
Understanding how to charge and set a Panerai is simple enough, but how do you know when to wind these luxury watches? Luckily, that’s plain to determine as well.
How Often Should You Wind a Panerai?
While the process of winding one of Panerai’s marvelous timepieces isn’t complicated, it still doesn’t need to be done daily. There are a few ways to tell if it’s time to flip the lever and give the crown a couple of twists:
- The three-day rule – Panerai’s sophisticated power reserve technology means your watch should keep three days of perfect time without having to be wound. After this, the timing might begin to fall out of sync, the Perpetual Calendar may stop keeping date, and the hands will eventually quit moving.3
Low power indicator – If your Panerai is equipped with a power reserve indicator, you can tell exactly how long you have before you’re out of energy. When it’s reading low, charge it up just the same as you would during routine windings.
- Dead displays – If time stops turning, the calendar isn’t keeping up, or any other instruments on your Panerai are acting up, it’s likely a lack of power. Spin the winding knob, set the correct date and time, and watch your wrist-bound work of art kick back to life.
Purchase Your Perfect Panerai from CJ Charles
Panerais are top-of-the-line wonders of modern timekeeping. Their unparalleled designs keep on ticking and looking breathtaking for generations, as long as they’re genuine.
If you’re in the market for an opulent timepiece to add to your watch collection, you’ll need to ensure you purchase an authentic model from a certified vendor. CJ Charles is a Panerai authorized dealer with your satisfaction at the top of our minds. Not only that, but CJ Charles is also able to satisfy your watch repair needs. Whether you need help with the movement or want to learn how to change your Panerai strap, our professionals can help.
At CJ Charles, we carry the iconic Luminor watch in a range of variations and styles. This classic model pioneered the lever-based winding mechanism that defines Panerai watches to this day.2 With a luminescent screen and a host of attractive features, there’s sure to be a stunning Radiomir watch to suit your aesthetic.
If a contemporary look is more your pace, we also have a wide selection of Luminor models. This varied line is based on the pieces Panerai made for Italian soldiers nearly a century ago, but has changed significantly since then. With bold, pronounced faces and a wealth of bands to choose from, the Luminor is truly a timepiece for the 21st century.
Or, if vintage styles aren’t your preference, we have a full line of Panerai submersibles for the modern sportsman and adventurer. With these durable designs, you can take the unmistakable elegance of a Panerai anywhere without worrying about what the elements will do to it.
CJ Charles has your preferred Panerai in pristine condition. Browse our selection today—time is already ticking away on your new timepiece.
Written By: Vahid Moradi
Vahid Moradi’s lifelong passion, dedication, and commitment for the jewelry industry led him to become the respected owner of CJ Charles Jewelers in 1988. From that moment, Moradi’s single focus in business was to become recognized as the pinnacle of value and world-class quality in the his Community. Over 34 years later, CJ Charles continues to grow and thrive as a successful, family-owned business that consistently provides exceptional service to all their clientele.
- Panerai. History of Panerai. https://www.panerai.com/en/about-panerai/history.html
- Federation of the Swiss Watch Industry. Officine Panerai - From 1850 To The Present Day. https://www.fhs.swiss/eng/2014-02-06_1287.html
- Panerai. Instructions.https://www.panerai.com/content/dam/rcq/pan/18/02/37/0/1802370.pdf