Written By: Vahid Moradi
They’ve been there for you through your first date nerves, engagement celebrations, and now your wedding planning—when it comes down to it, your bridesmaids are the friends who’ve supported every part of your relationship. To show your friends your gratitude, it’s always a lovely gesture to give a token of appreciation that will hold meaning for years to come.
Some women choose to show their appreciation for their bridesmaids with a gift, and for more and more women, that gift is jewelry.
If you’re thinking about gifting your bridal party a piece of luxury jewelry, it’s important to find a piece that complements both your wedding style and suits the preferences of your bridesmaids. Before you start shopping, it can help to consider all the different variables of bridesmaid jewelry—and explore just a few of the many dazzling options available.
Choosing Jewelry for Bridesmaids: An Overview
There are many factors to take into account when choosing bridesmaid jewelry. These include broader categories like your budget and the exact type of jewelry, but also finer details such as the material and style.
How you find a balance between these various considerations is ultimately up to you, but it can help to consider all the different elements together. Below, we’ve rounded up some of the most important factors, along with some tips to help you come to a decision.
It’s always a good idea to determine the total amount you’d like to spend on bridesmaid jewelry before looking at actual items. That way, you’ll be able to narrow down the array of options within your price range before you’ve fallen in love with any particular piece.
The total amount you spend depends in part on how many bridesmaids you have. These days, the average wedding party size is between three and five people—but yours may be bigger or smaller depending on the overall size of your wedding.1
As you shop, just remember to multiply the cost of each item by your number of bridesmaids to determine how much you’ll be spending in all.
If you have already started looking at gifts for your bridesmaids, you likely already have that number fixed in your mind and plans. If not, set a firm but flexible budget now to help you find the perfect offering.
Theme and Style
If this will be wedding jewelry, Will your wedding have a certain color scheme, theme, or aesthetic? The answer may very well influence what jewelry you choose for your bridesmaids. Consider the following examples:
- If you’re planning a contemporary garden gathering, you may opt for light-colored stones and delicate, white gold pieces to achieve a complementary floral feel.
- On the other hand, if you’re planning a vintage twilight reception, then bolder, sparkling, classic designs could be more in step with your theme.
Of course, you also might not care if the bridesmaid jewelry matches your wedding aesthetic. In any case, you’ll want to go with a piece that your bridesmaids will be able to wear comfortably in a variety of settings for a long time. The extent to which the piece interacts with the actual wedding is entirely up to you.
Metal or Stone
It’s easy to have fun choosing a material that carries significance amongst you and your friends. It’s unlikely that you can choose the same matching birthstone for all your bridesmaids—but if you share an interest in gemstones, precious metals, and their meanings, you can use this interest to choose a material that holds symbolism for all of you.
Some stones actually have cultural and historical associations with friendship, loyalty, and other qualities that your bridal party may cherish.
Emeralds, for example, are sometimes used in engagement rings because they are said to possess the properties of love and abundance.2 But because these are also qualities inherent within most close friendships, jewelry featuring this stone could be a thoughtful choice for a bridesmaid gift.
Type of Jewelry
Along with the factors above, you’ll also need to decide if you’ll give your bridesmaids an earrings set, a necklace, a bracelet, a combination of a few pieces, or something else entirely. Choosing the exact type of jewelry really can be the most mysterious part of the decision.
Fortunately, there are a few ways to make this bit a little easier:
- If you are in charge of choosing what your bridesmaids will be wearing, think about what jewelry might best complement the shape and aesthetic of the look. For instance, a necklace could pair nicely with a bridesmaid dress that features a plunging neckline. Conversely, bracelets might not be shown to their full advantage when combined with long sleeves.
- Consider what piece might feel most meaningful for your bridesmaids. If you and your friends grew up exchanging friendship bracelets, a sophisticated, grown-up version is a classy way to commemorate those childhood gifts.
We encourage you to be creative and choose a type of jewelry that contains a special significance for you and your circle. That way, you’ll know the pieces will be worn long after the wedding is over—yet still harken back to that memorable day.
Bridesmaid Jewelry: 9 Stunning Ideas
Now that you have a sense of how to choose jewelry for your bridesmaids, let’s explore some ideas for the kinds of jewelry that you may eventually want to select.
Below, we’ll look at examples ranging from minimal yet striking necklaces to bold and playful bracelets to help inspire your bridesmaid gift.
- An eye-catching pendant on a delicate chain – This is a fabulous way for your group to share the symbolism of a particular stone and its properties. An emerald pendant necklace will highlight the unity within your bridal party for the duration of the wedding, while a yellow gold chain will offer versatility to its wearer for years to come. You can also opt for a necklace set to adorn a strapless bridesmaid dress perhaps.
- Daring designs, dramatic presentation – Does your bridal party enjoy the spotlight? Make a statement with edgy earrings that show off your group’s energy. These 14kt rose gold pink sapphire earrings feature lovely plumed shapes that make for a lively and spirited design.
- A pop of color on the wrist – Depending on what your bridal party is wearing, some gemstone hues may suit some colors, while others may clash. If your party will be dressing in a variety of outfits, pick out a piece that features a variety of different shades, like this rainbow sapphire bracelet, to ensure it goes with everything.
- A simple diamond bracelet – Diamonds are forever, just like the truest friendships. Show off love for your bridesmaids with a subtle yet charming piece that they can wear for a lifetime. This 14kt bracelet is made of white gold and contains five diamonds—perhaps the perfect gift for a bridal party of five.
- Graceful, understated earrings – Looking for a piece that creates a splash without breaking the bank? Shimmery materials and trendy rose gold can make for a gorgeous statement piece. These rose gold quatrefoil earrings are lightweight enough to wear while dancing the night away, and their pavé diamonds simply sparkle.
- A playful butterfly motif – Another way to create meaning with the jewelry you choose is to select an image that has positive associations with your group. This butterfly diamond necklace is an excellent example of how to do that, featuring 85 diamonds in total for an overall stunning presentation.
- Floral-themed earrings – Gifting your bridesmaids a pair of stunning stud earrings is a lovely way to show your appreciation for their support. These white and rose gold studs are a sparkly, elegant option for a fun-loving contemporary group. Earrings can also easily be matched to a bracelet or necklace to create an attractive, coherent set.
- A subtle but stylish bracelet – Let’s face it—some bridesmaids swear they’ll wear that bridesmaid’s dress again someday, but they often end up in the back of the closet. To ensure the jewelry you gift them is versatile enough to wear in their everyday style, it can help to go with something subtle that still complements your wedding theme. This rose gold diamond crossover bangle is an ideal choice for its dazzling yet understated style—equally gorgeous on your wedding day or paired with a night-out look.
- A nod to friendship rings – Rings can be an unusual gift for bridesmaids, given their significance in the rest of the wedding tradition. However, exchanging friendship rings is an important rite of passage for many girls in their youth. Honor this important moment by sharing an elegant bypass ring that won’t be confused for a token of engagement.
Whether you choose stud earrings, a bracelet, a pendant necklace, or even a set, the perfect jewelry gift for your bridesmaids should be unique to you. The good news is that there are many options to help you find the right one.
Find the Best Bridesmaid Jewelry with CJ Charles
Commemorating your wedding with the support of bridesmaids is a special part of the marriage process for many women. If you’re planning to show your gratitude to your bridal party with a jewelry gift, it’s essential you work with a trustworthy jeweler who can guide the way.
With our years of expertise and a vast array of exclusive pieces, CJ Charles can make the selection a rewarding and fun experience by helping you find pieces your bridesmaids will love to wear—both on your wedding day and for years to come.
Connect with us on our website, or stop by our showroom in San Diego to peruse hundreds of one-of-a-kind luxury pieces that can help you celebrate your special day.
Written By: Vahid Moradi
Vahid Moradi’s lifelong passion, dedication, and commitment for the jewelry industry led him to become the respected owner of CJ Charles Jewelers in 1988. From that moment, Moradi’s single focus in business was to become recognized as the pinnacle of value and world-class quality in the his Community. Over 34 years later, CJ Charles continues to grow and thrive as a successful, family-owned business that consistently provides exceptional service to all their clientele.
- Brides. How Many Bridesmaids Are Too Many Bridesmaids? https://www.brides.com/story/how-many-bridesmaids-are-too-many
- Elle. 23 Different Gemstones And Their 'Powers,' Explained. https://www.elle.com/fashion/accessories/advice/a26103/fashion-stones-guide-healing/