Written By: Vahid Moradi
Our jewelry pieces are glistening adornments that elevate our style and make us feel like royalty. Whether you're a fan of sterling silver, gold-plated, or fashion jewelry, one common enemy threatens to dull their shine: tarnish. Fortunately, there are ways to help prevent tarnishes and keep your jewels shining bright! Let's explore the importance of jewelry care and the tips and tricks for how to keep jewelry from tarnishing.
What Causes Jewelry Tarnish?
The tarnishing of jewelry is natural and occurs when metals undergo a chemical reaction with elements in the air. This reaction leads to the formation of a thin layer of discoloration or dullness on the surface, altering its appearance and diminishing its shine. The presence of moisture, particularly in the form of humidity, sweat, or contact with water, accelerates the tarnishing process of the plated metals. Moisture provides an environment conducive to the chemical reactions that cause tarnish. Additionally, the unique chemistry of an individual's skin can also play a role in jewelry tarnishing. Skin naturally produces oils and acids, which can react with metals, particularly those found in fashion jewelry. The combination of perspiration, skin oils, and acids can expedite the tarnishing process. Understanding the root causes of tarnish can empower you to take proactive measures to prevent it.
Gentle CleaningWhen it comes to cleaning your fine jewelry to prevent tarnish, it's important to be gentle. Harsh scrubbing or abrasive materials can damage delicate surfaces and remove protective coatings. Instead, opt for gentle cleaning techniques to maintain the integrity of your fine jewelry.
- Use a soft cloth: A soft cloth, such as a microfiber or polishing cloth, is ideal for gently buffing away dirt and oils from your work jewelry. Avoid using rough or abrasive fabrics that may scratch the metal.
- Light brushing: For jewelry with intricate details or hard-to-reach areas, use a soft toothbrush or a jewelry cleaning brush to remove any buildup. Be gentle.
- Mild dish soap and warm water: A solution of mild dish soap and warm water is best for cleaning most jewelry, including sterling silver, gold plated, and brass. To clean your jewelry effectively, start by combining a small quantity of soap with warm water. Then, immerse a gentle cloth or a toothbrush into the solution and delicately clean your precious items. Afterward, make sure to rinse them thoroughly and gently pat them dry.
- Avoid harsh chemicals: Harsh substances like bleach, ammonia, or acetone can have a negative impact on the condition of your precious pieces and should be avoided. These chemicals can have adverse effects on the integrity of your precious pieces and should be avoided. These substances can be detrimental to both the metal and gemstones of your precious pieces. It is advisable to opt for gentler cleaning methods to preserve the beauty and integrity of your jewelry. These substances can potentially harm both metal and gemstones, so it's best to avoid using them during the cleaning process.
How Often to Clean JewelryRegular cleaning is recommended to prevent the buildup of dirt, oils, and tarnish on your jewelry. Keeping a consistent cleaning schedule will help maintain their pristine condition over time. As a general guideline, cleaning them every few weeks is recommended, taking into account how often you wear them. When your jewelry has been exposed to substances such as chlorine, salt water, or harsh chemicals, it's crucial to clean them without delay. This prompt cleaning helps eliminate any residue that may cause potential damage or tarnish to your cherished pieces. Taking this proactive step ensures the longevity and pristine appearance of your jewelry. For jewelry that is worn occasionally or for special events, it's ideally best to give them a gentle cleaning before wearing to ensure they sparkle and shine.
Jewelry Care to Prevent TarnishThere are several preventive steps you can take to slow down the deterioration process and safeguard your jewelry, particularly when it comes to specific metals.
- Proper Storage: Opt for an airtight container or a jewlery box lined with anti-tarnish cloth to keep the wicked tarnish at bay. For an extra added measure, place a small piece of chalk or silica packs inside to absorb any lingering moisture.
- Separate Your Jewelry Pieces: Store each jewelry piece separately to prevent scratches, as even the most precious metals can be vulnerable.
- Avoid Moisture: Keep your jewelry dry and away from water by removing them before swimming, showering, or doing any water-related activities.
Exploring Tarnish-Resistant OptionsSometimes the best way to avoid tarnishing is to choose metal types that are tarnish-resistance. Looking for jewelry with built-in resistance to tarnish? Look no further than sterling silver. This precious metal boasts impressive anti-tarnish qualities, making it a charming choice for long-lasting radiance. But, if you can't resist the allure of gold-plated jewelry, just follow the gentle cleaning techniques mentioned earlier to add an extra layer of protection to your pieces.
Find More Glistening Adornments with CJ Charles Jewelers
Jewelry care is the key to ensuring your beloved pieces maintain their enchanting allure for years to come. If you're in the market for new pieces, visit CJ Charles Jewelers today. As a luxury jewelry store in San Diego, we help bring the highest quality pieces to you. Whether you're looking for a bright diamond gold bracelet, a pre-owned Rolex timepiece, or precious emerald gemstone earrings, start your search with us. Plus, check out our blog for more information on how to properly clean your luxury accessories, like how to clean your rolex or how to clean your diamonds.
Written By: Vahid MoradiVahid Moradi’s lifelong passion, dedication, and commitment for the jewelry industry led him to become the respected owner of CJ Charles Jewelers in 1988. From that moment, Moradi’s single focus in business was to become recognized as the pinnacle of value and world-class quality in the his Community. Over 34 years later, CJ Charles continues to grow and thrive as a successful, family-owned business that consistently provides exceptional service to all their clientele.