Written By: Vahid Moradi
When selecting the perfect engagement ring for your partner, few people are better suited to walk you gently through the process than a trusted jeweler.
Beyond guiding you through such a momentous decision, experts like the gemologists at CJ Charles are furnished with concrete expertise in modern styles like delicate engagement rings—as well as the time-honored tradition of crafting the earth’s finest materials into a piece of jewelry your spouse will treasure.
To help you start the process, we’ve assembled this style guide to introduce you to 6 exquisite engagement rings suitors will find from modern designers, as well as a summary of how diamonds are valued so that you can make the perfect choice with confidence.
6 Impeccably Delicate Engagement Ring Styles
Delicate engagement ring styles are steadily on the rise for their polished, subtle aesthetic. Here, we’ve curated our favorite designs so you can start your search for luxury rings on the right foot (or the right finger).
1. Splitshank Band
Cluster dainty rings are classic, eye-catching engagement ring styles that aren’t demure about displaying their brilliance. These designs feature a nest of diamonds to frame a (usually larger) keystone diamond.
The Rectangular Diamond Cluster Ring modernizes this style with a finely-riven engagement or wedding band to disperse the brilliance of the diamonds around its circumference. The design profile at a glance:
- Metal – White gold, 18kt
- Stones – Diamonds (60)
- Style – Cluster
With two rectangular diamonds banded in timeless white gold, it’s an ideal choice for wearers who favor an elegant, timeless aesthetic. To keep this ring looking good as new, help your spouse and learn the difference between white gold vs yellow gold and the proper steps on how to clean a wedding ring or engagement ring at home.
2. Thin Band
Engagement rings in San Diego rendered with a slim, helix-style band are an exquisite choice for modern brides-to-be. Rather than following the circular tradition, this model curves around the finger, with strands of pave-set diamonds patterned in the peaks of the engagement or wedding band.
The Double Spiral Pave Diamond Ring is a graceful example of the helix style:
- Metal – White gold, 18kt
- Stones – Diamonds (76)
- Style – Spiral
Pave diamonds are a particularly refined setting for precious gemstones, resembling a crystal pathway enveloping the finger. With timeless rectangular diamonds, this delicate style of diamond engagement ring is perfect for a wearer who embraces romance and individuality in equal measure
If you have any doubts about choosing the “right” ring for the love of your life, a round brilliant cut diamond will not let you down.
This style of engagement ring quite literally sets the diamond standard: it’s the best-known style of diamond in the world, with 57 glittering facets that radiate with light.1 For a delicate version of this iconic style, take a look at the Round Brilliant Diamond Ring:
- Metal – White gold, 18kt
- Center Diamond – 1.12 carats
- Style – Round
The popularity of round brilliant cut engagement rings means you’ll want to ensure you’re looking at vetted styles to know you’re purchasing a high-grade diamond. CJ Charles’ Round Brilliant Diamond Ring is GIA Certified, so you can rest assured quality is taken care of.
4. Open Band
Like the spiral design, open bands are a similarly modern style of engagement ring that leans into the natural appeal of symmetry with an opulent touch.
The Diamond Double Rectangular Open Ring features a cleaved band with two heart-stopping diamond settings that mirror one another on either side of the finger. At a glance:
- Metal – White gold, 18KT
- Stones – Round and baguette diamonds
- Style – Open
Of all CJ Charles’ delicate engagement rings, this design may inspire the most lingering gazes. Sleek baguette diamonds are attended by four delicate round stones, bound by a glimmering frame of round diamonds (.76 carats total).
Integrating a keyhole of open space with dazzling accent stones , it’s a beautiful selection if you’re looking for a design that’s both delicate and skillfully designed.
Never shy away from a refreshing pop of color when it comes to engagement rings.
Gone are the days when brides-to-be limit themselves to sheer diamonds. Particularly when shopping for delicate styles, stones like sapphire, emerald, or ruby can be a tactful way of making coyer designs refreshingly unique.
The Pink Sapphire Diamond Halo Ring exemplifies the poise of color perfectly:
- Metal – White gold, 18kt
- Stones – Pink sapphire, .75 carat and diamonds, .16 carat
- Style – Halo
This design features a luminous pink sapphire cocooned by a corona of brilliant cut diamonds. A simple white gold band airs on the side of polished simplicity, allowing the radiance of the accent stones to steal the show.
It’s a magnificent choice for wearers who gravitate towards understated designs but won’t miss the chance to indulge in a vivid dash of color.
Our last delicate engagement ring style is for brides-to-be with a taste for the unconventional. If your beloved is a fashion maven, consider picking an imaginative design like the Zambia Emerald and Diamond Flower Ring:
- Metal – White gold, 18kt
- Stones – Zambia emerald, .80 carat and diamonds, .28 carat
- Style – Flower motif
Of all our dainty engagement rings, this specimen may be the most whimsical. Teardrop-shaped emeralds girdle a round brilliant cut diamond “stamen,” with inlaid round diamond row tapered along the crown of the band.
While undeniably an adventurous engagement ring style fit for playful, fashion-forward brides-to-be, exquisite emerald makes for a remarkably wearable and refined design. For the right person, proposing to your beloved with a design as charming as this one could be as lovely as getting down on one knee and tying a daisy around their finger.
How Engagement Rings Are Priced
Delicate engagement ring styles are captivating on two accounts:
- First, they’re a dream to admire, which your partner will likely spend a good deal of time doing in the weeks after your proposal.
- More practically, they tend to be much more affordable than flashy styles of diamond engagement rings that demand attention by the sheer sparkleof the design.
It’s no secret that proposals take planning, not only because you want to pick the perfect moment to pop the question but also because you may need to save up for the occasion.
Let’s take a look at some common questions about the cost of delicate engagement rings before you plot your first step in your course towards the wedding arch.
How Are Engagement Rings Priced?
Since the vast majority of engagement rings feature diamonds in their design, it’s essential to know how the value of a given diamond is ascertained.
In the world of gemology, there are 4 metrics that evaluate the quality of a diamond, known as the 4 C’s:
- Clarity – Derived from the earth, diamonds often contain microscopic crystal imperfections that aren’t noticeable to the naked eye. These are known to gemologists as inclusions, resting on a spectrum from “included” (highly impure) to “flawless” (perfect). Gemologists use a microscope to determine the empirical clarity of a given specimen.
- Color – If an absolutely perfect diamond existed, you wouldn’t be able to perceive that it was there. This is because diamond-ness is synonymous with transparency—which means the more colorless a diamond is, the higher grade it’s considered to be. Colorless diamonds, the highest class, are the most costly, while light yellow diamonds are the least expensive.
- Cut – Cut describes the process of converting a crude diamond into a gemstone fit to be set in fine jewelry. Craftsmanship is everything at this stage, with the rank of the cut or diamond shape dictating the reflectivity of a stone. While shallow cuts allow light to escape, deep ones will absorb and bury the light. Perfectly-cut diamonds admit light and bounce it back up to the observer, creating the dazzling effect diamonds are known for.
- Carats – Carats refer to the weight of a diamond, and the carat weight of any given specimen has a colossal effect on its ultimate price point. This is because there are certain thresholds known as “magic numbers” which elevate the value of diamonds considerably. If you’re on a budget while shopping, ensure your jeweler knows you have a carat weight limit to stick to.2
There’s no need to become a connoisseur in diamond classification—particularly if you only plan on proposing once in your life. This expertise is the province of gemologists and jewelers, so be sure to consult professionals you trust when shopping for a keepsake as precious as an engagement ring.
If quality is important to you, you can also ask your jeweler whether the piece you’re looking at has been evaluated by the Gemological Institute of America, granting it a GIA certification. This can ensure that the quality of the diamond engagement ring you purchase is commensurate with this value, as ordained by an independent third party.
What’s a Reasonable Price for an Engagement Ring?
In 2019, the average price point for an engagement was just shy of $6,000.3 However, there are myriad factors that will mingle and condense into the choice of the dainty ring you ultimately make, from your budget to the style that’s sure to make your partner overjoyed to receive.
Make The Perfect Choice with CJ Charles
Whatever your preferences or your price range, the most important thing you can do when shopping for engagement rings or wedding rings in San Diego is to peruse with a reputable jeweler whom you trust.
The CJ Charles showroom has bridal styles from classic to contemporary, with professionals who’ve mastered their craft down to the mineral level.
When it’s time to make your selection, we’ll walk you through every cut, carat, and contingency of your decision so that you can make a diamond-standard choice for you—and your bride to be.
Written By: Vahid Morai
Vahid Moradi’s lifelong passion, dedication, and commitment for the jewelry industry led him to become the respected owner of CJ Charles Jewelers in 1988. From that moment, Moradi’s single focus in business was to become recognized as the pinnacle of value and world-class quality in the his Community. Over 34 years later, CJ Charles continues to grow and thrive as a successful, family-owned business that consistently provides exceptional service to all their clientele.
- Cape Town Diamond Museum. Diamond Shapes and Cuts. https://www.capetowndiamondmuseum.org/about-diamonds/diamond-shapes-and-cuts/
- Gem Society. Diamond Advice. https://www.gemsociety.org/diamond-advice/
- CNBC. What’s an appropriate amount to spend on an engagement ring https://www.cnbc.com/select/how-much-to-spend-on-engagement-ring/